Guru Nanak Dev Engineering College, Bidar, a premier center of Technical Education, was established in August, 1980 by the Prabandhak Committee, Gurudwara Sri Nanak Jhira Saheb, Bidar as per the Govt. of Karnataka Order No.ED 150 TEC 79, dated 8th August, 1980.
At present College is being managed by Sri Nanak Jhira Saheb Foundation (Trust). Initially, the College was affiliated to Gulbarga University, Gulbarga. However, subsequently a separate Technical University Viz. Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belgaum, has been established during the academic year 1998-99 and since then this College has been affiliated to the said University.
This College is approved by All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE), New Delhi and Accredited by National Board of Accreditation (N.B.A.), New Delhi. GNDEC started in the year 1980 with an annual intake of 120 in three traditional branches.
Of the four sojourns of Guru Nanak Devji, the second one covered Deccan and Sri Lanka. During which he passed through Bidar, where, in response to the prayers of local inhabitants, he touched the rock with his right toe and a fresh water spring continues to flow this day. Thus it begot the name SRI NANAK JHIRA SAHEB.
A prabandhak committee was formed in 1950 to renovate and develop the under the Presidenship of Pant Bhushan Sant Sardar Bhishan Singhji. Unfortunately in the year 1966, Santji expired and the mantle fell on the shoulders of his son Sardar Joga Singhji who continued to provide stewardship to the Prabandhak Committee to the welfare and up-liftment of Human Society.
As developing activities were growing fast, a public, Religious, Educational and Charitable trust by the name Sri Nanak Jhira Saheb Foundation was created in March 1987 by the Prabandhak Committee Gurudwara Sri Nanak Jhira Saheb, Bidar.